The farmhouse and outbuildings lie on land which in the 1850s was part of the 25 square mile pastoral run. From 1880 to 1912 the selection changed hands a number of time until it was transferred to Mudgeeraba farmer Carl Schmidt in July 1912. The property was occupied by the Schmidt-Kurth family until 1986. The family had a small commercial dairying farm with 20-30 cows, typical of small farming practices in the early 20th century. Bertha Schmidt died in 1924 and in 1930, prior to Carl’s death in 1931, the property was transferred to their youngest daughter, Mrs Eda Catherine Kurth who was born in the house. The property remained in the Schmidt-Kurth family until 1992.
In March 1997 the property was entered into the State Heritage Register, and in 2010 entered into the Gold Coast City Council’s Local Heritage List.
The construction of the farmhouse with its 8” wide beaded vertical boarding and bracing to the front dates from around the 1880s.
The house originally contained only two rooms at the front section, with French doors opening out from both rooms to the front verandah. A number of turn-of-the-century alterations have been made to the farmhouse, including: a detached kitchen joined to the main house; weather-board cladding on the external walls; new sash windows and window hoods; new front balustrading; ceiling ventilators in the principal rooms; and a partition wall erected in the larger (eastern) front room, to create a central hallway.
The large Barn is constructed primarily of hardwood slabs and milled weatherboards with a corrugated iron roof. The Schmidt’s small timber weatherboard creamery with a corrugated iron roof has now been relocated from its original location to within the heritage precinct.
For more detailed information about the Schmidt farmhouse, click here for the State Heritage Register citation.